Friday, July 9, 2010

Tiny Hands

Okay so if you know me, you know that I have really small hands. I don’t know why, I mean no one in my family has hands this little, but when a person finds out how small my hands are they usually talk about it for a while and point it out often.

I remember when I was learning how to type in middle school and all my friends and I had races to see who could type the fastest I always lost and I took guitar lessons for a quick minute but that didn’t last long b/c I couldn’t stretch my hands out to make all the chords…still to this day I can only play G, C, and D. My hand still fits in the imprint plate I made in kindergarten…you know the one you make for your mom on Mother’s day.

I promise this story is going somewhere…..

I was in show choir in high school, and I promise it was the “cool” thing to do at our high school. I absolutely loved it…you can ask anyone. I’m not a particularly good dancer and I don’t have a lot of rhythm, in fact our show choir teacher said he would always remember me because I was a beat behind.

Well one night we were up at the auditorium really late rehearsing for our show, we were all really tired and had tons of other things to do. So of course we were all kind of half way dancing and singing and of course I was goofing around and not being serious at all. So Mr. Harris our director stopped the band, stopped our dancing, and stopped me from joking around. He made everyone sit down, so I sit down and as soon as I sat he looked straight at me and said Margaret Claire you can stand back up and do that whole eight-count by yourself. Well I started laughing and so did everyone else thinking he was joking….oh no he wasn’t joking at all. So he made me stand up and do the whole eight count by myself, but in this eight count you had to make big hands and almost like jazz-fingers. Well after I did the eight count he broke his pencil because he was yelling at me and told me I was not making big enough hands.

At that point, all of my friends…okay everyone was laughing. My friend Anna Claire raises her hand and waves it around in the air and in the most matter of fact voice says, ”Mr. Harris, Margaret Claire can’t make big hands because she has midget hands.” Everyone was laughing, even Mr. Harris, still to this day when people make fun of me for having small hands Anna Claire and I act out the eight count Mr. Harris made me do in front of everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment